Barrick takes $405-million writedown on Peruvian mine – by Niall McGee (Globe and Mail – October 24, 2018)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/

About a month after announcing its biggest takeover in seven years, Barrick Gold Corp. has announced a hefty write-down on a South American mine and says its full-year gold production will likely be on the lower end of its forecast.

In a release after trading closed on Wednesday, Barrick said it lost US$412-million in the third quarter, driven in large measure by a US$405-million impairment charge at its Lugunas Norte mine in Peru.

Barrick said it had studied whether it could profitably process “refractory” ore, which is a difficult to handle sulphide-rich rock, at Lagunas Norte, but concluded it wasn’t feasible for the time being. In an e-mail, Barrick spokesman Andy Lloyd said it could still be an option at some point in the future.

Toronto-based Barrick produced 1.25 million ounces of gold in the quarter and said that its full-year production will be at the lower end of its predicted range of 4.5 million to 5 million ounces.

On an adjusted basis, Barrick made 8 U.S. cents a share, 3 U.S. cents better than analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting. Barrick generated US$319-million in free cash flow, 42 per cent higher than in the same quarter last year and materially higher than the US$118-million analysts were expecting.

For the rest of this article: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-barrick-takes-us405-write-down-on-peruvian-mine/

Comments are closed.