Protest camp built on proposed site of Sisson mine project – by Shane Fowler CBC News New Brunswick – July 18, 2018)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/

First Nations protesters in N.B. planning to last the winter at the remote site of Sisson mine project

Members of Maliseet First Nations have started to build a protest camp at the proposed site of the Sisson mine near Napadogan. Tents, campers, and other homemade structures have been set up in hopes of deterring future development of a proposed tungsten and molybdenum mine.

“I am a Wulustukyik grandmother and I am here defending the land,” said Terry Sappier, who has been living in the camp most of the time since it was built July 2. “I’m defending it for our future generations.”

On Monday afternoon, there were a half dozen men, woman and children at the campsite as part of the Wulustukyik Nation Grandmothers and Mothers group. Many were working to build additional structures, including a shower station, as the group plans to live in the remote location “for as long as it takes.”

“There’s nothing that would make us approve this mine,” said Sappier, the only person at the camp who would speak on camera. “If I agree to the project then I’m denying the next seven generations the right to use this land, and I would be taking away their inherent right that they are born with.”

Last month, the mine was given environmental approval from Ottawa. If constructed, the open pit mine and ore-processing facility would be expected to operate for 27 years with a projected cost of $579 million. Sisson Mine Ltd. projects the creation of 500 jobs during the construction of the facility with 300 positions operating during the mine’s lifespan.

For the rest of this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/sisson-mine-protest-camp-1.4209673

Comments are closed.