Defence ministry says it will send technical equipment to region of lower Silesia to establish whether train exists
Poland will deploy the military to look for an alleged Nazi “gold train” that sparked global fascination after two anonymous treasure hunters claimed they had pinpointed where it is buried.
“The defence minister decided to send technical equipment to search the area in order to determine whether a train actually exists,” a defence ministry spokesman, Jacek Sonta, said on Tuesday.
“The army is acting at the request of the governor of the region concerned.”
On Monday Tomasz Smolarz, the governor of the south-western region of lower Silesia, said it was “impossible to claim that such a find actually exists at the location indicated based on the documents that have been submitted”.
This comes just days after a senior culture ministry official said on Friday that he was “more than 99% sure” an armoured railway carriage had been found with ground-penetrating radar images.
Smolarz said no such images had been submitted to authorities.
On Monday police blocked off the presumed location of the train along a stretch of active railway tracks to prevent accidents as curious people swamp the area, which is near the city of Walbrych.
Also on Monday a Polish non-government organisation filed a complaint with state prosecutors against Piotr Zuchowski, a secretary of state at the culture ministry, for unfounded claims about the existence of the train that have led to considerable public funds being wasted on securing the area.
For the rest of this article, click here: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/02/nazi-gold-train-poland-to-bring-in-army-to-help-in-hunt