Hostages kidnapped from Canadian-owned mining site in Congo released – by Saleh Mwanamilongo (Toronto Star – May 28, 2017)

https://www.thestar.com/

The Associated Press – KINSHASA, CONGO—A French man and three Congolese men have been released after being kidnapped in March from a Canadian mining company in eastern Congo in March, Congo’s government said Sunday.

They were among five workers, including a Tanzanian who had been kidnapped from the Namoya gold mine operated by Canadian company Banro Mining Corp. in Salamabila.

“The four hostages, three Congolese and one French, were freed yesterday at 1800 (6 p.m. local time) in the Tengetenge locality,” about 50 kilometres from Salamabila, according to the Maniema Provincial Interior Minister Bonaventure Saleh Zakuani. “Their release came after several days of negotiations with the abductors.”

The five were taken by people living in Salamabila who felt Banro Mining Corp. was not looking out for the community, Zakuani said. The Tanzanian hostage was released more than a month ago, he confirmed.

The four released Saturday are on their way to Kindu, the capital of the Maniema province, he said.

For the rest of this article, click here: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/05/28/french-citizen-3-congolese-hostages-released-in-congo.html

Comments are closed.