Quebec suspends Copper One claims – by Staff (Mining Journal – January 31, 2017)

http://www.mining-journal.com/

A legal stoush is brewing since the government of Quebec last week suspended Copper One’s (CN:CUO) Rivière Doré claims in the Lac Barrière area near Val-d’Or.

Quebec’s Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources (MERN) issued a statement last week announcing it would suspend Copper One’s claims, prompting the company to “pursue all its legal rights”.

The company said it was “very surprised” by the timing of events, having received MERN’s draft notice of suspension on January 20, granting 15 days to comment. However, MERN announced the official suspension on January 26.

Copper One president and CEO Scott Moore said it appeared MERN’s action was due to a press conference held by members of the Algonquins of Barrière Lake (ABL) denouncing Quebec’s Mining Act as illegal and unconstitutional.

There had been a protracted consultation period between the government of Quebec and ABL over potential exploration at Rivière Doré, ending in ABL reiterating its “no mining” stance, Moore said.

“We believe this response demonstrates that the ABL was consulting in bad faith with the Province of Quebec,” Moore said. “The MERN is unlawfully harming Copper One and all of its stakeholders and Copper One will pursue all its legal rights in court to protect all of its stakeholders.”

For the rest of this article, click here: http://www.mining-journal.com/world/north-america/quebec-suspends-copper-one-claims/

Comments are closed.