Company pledges jobs, infrastructure and “best-in-class approach to protecting the environment”
Sabina Gold and Silver Corp. says it’s confident that any issues and concerns about its Back River gold mine project can and will be addressed.
The mining company says it’s “extremely pleased” with Ottawa’s latest move: Indigenous and Northern Affairs minister Carolyn Bennett sent the project’s final hearing report back to the Nunavut Impact Review Board last week, saying it needs further review.
The project, located in Nunavut’s Kitikmeot region, would include a chain of open pit and underground mines at its Goose property along with a 157-kilometre road from the mine to a port facility and tank farm in Bathurst Inlet. In June 2016, the NIRB recommended that Ottawa reject the Back River gold mine proposal, citing environmental and social impacts.
But Bennett disagreed and argued Jan. 12 that the NIRB’s findings were premature and did not fully explain proposed mitigation measures. She’s now calling for a more thorough review.
“We are extremely pleased that the minister has determined that the NIRB should reconsider its recommendation regarding the project,” said Sabina’s president and CEO Bruce McLeod in a Jan. 13 release. “We understand and support the NIRB’s desire for a high level of confidence in the mitigation and management proposed and believe that we have defined programs to address their issues.”
For the rest of this article, click here: http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674sabina_confident_proposed_nunavut_gold_mine_will_move_forward/