Philippines third quarter nickel ore output drops 16 percent as Duterte’s green clampdown bites – by Manolo Serapio Jr (Reuters U.S. – December 5, 2016)

http://www.reuters.com/

MANILA – The Philippines’ output of nickel ore fell 16 percent in the third quarter from a year earlier, government data showed on Monday, after the world’s top supplier of the metal suspended some mines in a clampdown on environmental violations.

The Southeast Asian nation has already stopped work at 10 of its 41 mines in a campaign, backed by President Rodrigo Duterte, against what the government says is irresponsible mining. A group of a further 20 more faces possible suspension.

Output of nickel ore for direct shipping fell to 9.34 million tonnes in July-September from 11.09 million tonnes in the same period last year, data from the Mines and Geosciences Bureau showed.

Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Regina Lopez told Reuters on Friday that there will “definitely” be more mine suspensions when the ruling on the 20 facing suspension is released, possibly within the week.

For the rest of this article, click here: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-mining-output-idUSKBN13U0L4?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2Fenvironment+(News+%2F+US+%2F+Environment)

Comments are closed.