Goldcorp takes US$2.3-billion writedown on ‘cornerstone’ Argentine project – by Alexandra Posadzk (Canadian Business – February 19, 2015)

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/

Goldcorp Inc. reported a US$2.4-billion net loss in its latest quarter as it took a big writedown charge on its Cerro Negro project, but the company’s chief executive says he still has high hopes for the Argentine mine.

“This is an accounting charge and does not reflect losses of gold ounces in the ground or our expectations for this asset,” Charles Jeannes told investors during a conference call Thursday.

“Quite the contrary, we continue to believe Cerro Negro will be a cornerstone operation for Goldcorp for a long time to come.”

The news came after the gold miner announced a loss of $2.94 per diluted share in the fourth quarter compared with a loss of US$1.1 billion or $1.34 per diluted share in the last three months of 2013.

The loss includes the US$2.3-billion hit that Goldcorp took in relation to a drop in the value of the Cerro Negro project, which began commercial production last month.

On an adjusted basis, Goldcorp says it earned US$55 million or seven cents per share, down from nine cents per share in the fourth quarter of 2013. Analysts had estimated an adjusted profit of 12 cents per share for the quarter, according to Thomson Reuters.

The company’s revenue in the fourth quarter was US$835 million, down from US$956 million in the comparable period of 2013.

Goldcorp says it will strive to increase its gold reserves while keeping costs contained over the coming year.

For the rest of this article, click here: http://www.canadianbusiness.com/business-news/goldcorp-writes-down-argentine-project-by-us2-3-billion-q4-adj-profit-misses/

Comments are closed.