UPDATE 3-Indonesia threatens to take over Newmont mine if output stays shut – by Wilda Asmarini and Fergus Jensen (Reuters India – July 18, 2014)

http://in.reuters.com/

JAKARTA, July 17 (Reuters) – Newmont Mining Corp risks its Indonesian mining licence being taken over by a state-owned firm if the U.S. miner does not resume copper production, the Southeast Asian nation warned, escalating a six-month dispute over export rules.

The move represents a hardening of the stance of Indonesia’s outgoing government. The mining ministry earlier this week said it could terminate Newmont’s mining contract in response to the miner stopping production and filing legal arbitration over the export rules.

The developments mark the latest twist in the dispute between Indonesia and U.S. miners Newmont and Freeport-McMoRan Inc that has led to a halt in copper concentrate shipments from Southeast Asia’s biggest economy.

Indonesia plans to soon send a letter to Newmont saying that the company has defaulted on its contract, said Sukhyar, director general of coal and minerals at the mining ministry. “The default is due to the stopping of production, so we can say they are negligent,” Sukhyar told reporters on Thursday.

A Newmont spokesman did not comment on the risk of the company losing its mining licence at its Batu Hijau copper mine but said in an email that the company is eager to resume production as soon as the government issues it an export permit.

Newmont repeated that it had to halt production as its storage facilities were at full capacity, a statement it made last month when it declared force majeure on shipments.

The company and Freeport are in dispute with the government over an escalating export tax imposed in January that they say conflicts with their mining contracts. The tax is part of a government drive to force miners to build smelters and processing plants in Indonesia.

Experts said the company would have a good case against the government in international court.

“On the basis of the facts as I know it, Newmont would almost certainly win,” said Jakarta-based foreign advocate Bill Sullivan.

If the government terminates Newmont’s contract, the mining ministry said it would first offer the Batu Hijau mine to Aneka Tambang (Antam).

“The procedure is this mining site will be given back to the government,” Sukhyar said. “First, the government will offer it to a state-owned enterprise, then a local-government owned enterprise, and then private.”

For the rest of this article, click here: http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/07/17/indonesia-mining-idINL4N0PS11H20140717

Comments are closed.