February 20 2014
Mike Mayhew was introduced at the SAMSSA Annual Meeting on December 4, 2013 as the new President for the next two years.
Mike was interviewed and responded with some further insights in his new role:
1. What background do you bring to the new leadership role as President of SAMSSA?
I am very fortunate and have a number of areas to draw from that put me in a favourable position as the new President of SAMSSA. Being nominated as the President of SAMSSA is truly an honour for me.
I have over 20+ years in the mining industry with a diversified background. I have a post-graduate degree in Mining Engineering and have worked for Toyota Canada, Inco, Atlas Copco, MacLean Engineering, and Rock-Tech previous to my current role as Director, Global Mining for Stantec Consulting Ltd.
I am an accomplished bilingual Executive with a proven track record for producing high results in a competitive industry. My passion is to build teams and I have a history of consistently growing business in the mining sector.
My background and experiences in the mining industry, both consulting and operational, have allowed me to understand all aspects of the industry with a strong focus on the coordination of project delivery in a variety of commodities.
My main focus is on safety for our people and our clients. My area of specialty includes leading and executing Strategic Business for the Mining Business Line within Stantec Consulting. My motivation includes preparing and supporting project-specific client delivery with key Account Managers in an effort to meet client objectives for new and existing underground mining operations around the globe. I travel extensively and pride myself on learning and investing time at every level of an operation.
As the President of SAMSSA and as leader in the mining industry my vision and goal is to share my knowledge, experience and industry contacts with our SAMSSA membership to help them grow domestically and internationally by expanding their business around the world.
2. Why is SAMSSA Important to the mining Industry?
SAMSSA is all about communication and support. The Service and Supply Industry is a competitive, tough and resilient group. SAMSSA provides information and collaboration between colleagues and competitors. Our mission as follows:
“Provide the most innovative and highest quality mining supply/products/services for domestic and worldwide markets.”
• Maximize sales opportunities domestically and globally
• Utilize on-site visits and virtual channels to actively promote SAMSSA members in active mining centers.
• Encourage members to develop product and service enhancements through continual research and development.
• Provide a “one-stop-shop” for mining and related clients.
• Develop a comprehensive catalogue of member suppliers/products and services for worldwide distribution.
• Attend at least two trade shows per year to promote SAMSSA member’s products and services.
• Provide relevant educational opportunities to all SAMSSA members which will improve their understanding of exporting their product/services globally.
• Provide a multilingual and interactive web site for members and global and domestic customers.
3. How important are mining engineering companies to the supply sector in the future?
Engineering firms offer a unique perspective to the supply sector. Often engineering firms are involved at the early stages of the project in order of magnitude from scoping studies to Pre-Feasibility/Feasibility Studies. As the project advances to the execution stage engineering firms are involved in the detailed design phase. Engineering firms are often involved in global projects that once secured, provide opportunities to local companies that have the expertise in the appropriate fields.
In addition, Engineering companies offer Consulting, Operational and Contracting expertise which many Global Mining Companies search for.
4. Can you project where the Mining industry is headed in the next few years?
None of us have a crystal ball in the industry however the general sense of the market in 2014 is it will look similar to 2013. Many companies may look inward to sustaining capital for projects and managing cash flow until the price of commodities rebounds. As such, depending on commodities, supply/demand will dictate 2015 beyond.
5. How important is innovative design and products from the mining industry for the future of mining globally?
The industry continues to evolve with new technology and innovation across different market segments and will continue to grow and meet the changes requested by the industry. Innovation and leading technology will be critical as our mines get deeper with a focus on safety.
6. Anything happening with the new Stantec reorganization?
At Stantec we continue to evolve and grow. Our work begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. Because we are part of the communities we serve, our strategy is shaped by our promise—to design with community in mind—and is founded in our values: we put people first, we are better together, we do what is right, and we are driven to achieve. These reflect who we are and how we conduct our business.
The Stantec community unites more than 13,000 employees working in over 200 locations. We collaborate across disciplines and industries to bring buildings, energy and resource, and infrastructure projects to life.
Since 1954, our local strength, knowledge, and relationships, coupled with our world-class expertise, have allowed us to go anywhere to meet our clients’ needs in more creative and personalized ways. With a long-term commitment to the people and places we serve, Stantec has the unique ability to connect to projects on a personal level and advance the quality of life in communities across the globe. Stantec trades on the TSX and the NYSE under the symbol STN.
Executive Director of SAMSSA (Sudbury
Area Mining Supply and Services Association)