Sudbury nickel mine stops operations at year’s end due to falling prices – by Andrew Livingstone (Toronto Star – October 20, 2012)

The Toronto Star has the largest circulation in Canada. The paper has an enormous impact on federal and Ontario politics as well as shaping public opinion.

Operations at the Sudbury mine site where 40 per cent of the nickel used to make allied artillery during the First World War came from will be suspended at the end of the year.

The Frood site, which has been in operation for over a century, will be closed because of recent decline in the price of nickel and market volatility.

Since 2011, the price of nickel has dropped 30 per cent, 17 per cent this year alone. The closure will not lead to any job losses, said McPhee. 85 workers are currently employed at the site and when it closes, will be reassigned to other jobs within the Sudbury operation.

The Frood site has been mined for more than 100 years, but the ore now has low value and the company had been mining at a loss.

The mine site has received some royal visitors in the past.

In 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth became the first members of the British Royal family to visit the Sudbury, Ontario nickel operations. The Queen made a trip underground to view operations.

In 1959, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip visited the site during their Canadian Royal Tour.

For the original of this article, please go to the Toronto Star website:–sudbury-nickel-mine-stops-operations-at-year-s-end-due-to-falling-prices